Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Day 17,534: Of Mountains and Mending


I'm back.  From Taos.  Again.  As much as one can come back from such a magical place.  I was just there in June to assist Amy Bogard with her Illuminated Sketchbook Journaling Workshop at Mabel Dodge Luhan House.  It was my third time in Taos for this wonderful offering, but this fourth visit was with my husband and purely for fun, relaxation, and celebration of my 48th birthday.  It was the very best present to introduce him to the desert southwest.  We were fortunate to have the opportunity to spend three of four nights at Mabel's ... not only at the Inn but in Mabel's own bedroom.  This historic property, built and run with love, is a home away from home and has a way of mending within me whatever may need it.    

During our stay, we basked in the hot springs at Ojo Caliente.  We fawned over llamas, alpacas and angora rabbits at the Taos Wool Festival.  We went on a photo safari for migrating tarantulas on West Rim Road.  We savored handcrafted beer, homemade taquitos and chatting up the locals at Taos Mesa Brewing.  We gazed, awestruck, at the spectacular blanket of stars in the expansive New Moon sky.  We packed in as much joy as could be squeezed into such a short visit.  And Taos Mountain, oh, that mountain, she hangs onto a piece of me until I can return.  So very grateful for this special trip with my partner on life's journey.  So very grateful to know that I will be back again next June.

No comments: