Thursday, October 30, 2008

So S.A.D.

'Tis this season. I don't know why, but mid-September it starts to set in ... seasonal affective disorder. I have to take certain steps to keep it in check until it starts to wane in March. From this vantage point, with most of the leaves still on the trees, it feels like a long haul until spring. But I am so thankful for all that I've learned over the years ... what works for me and what doesn't. There so many ways to feel better!

For the last couple of years, I have used a lightbox (NatureBright SunTouch Plus Light and Ion Therapy Lamp) in the morning and evening (about 30 minutes each ... sometimes longer on the gloomiest days) through the S.A.D. months. I can't recommend it enough. Just be aware that you will need to adjust when and how long to use it in order to achieve the best results, but I noticed an improvement almost right away. Without it, I swear I'd sleep and weep at least a quarter of the year away.

Now I've added coloring to my lightbox time and I'm LOVING this mandala coloring book (Mind Ware Stained Glass Spinlights Coloring Book) right now. And it always helps to have Karen Drucker on the iPod. I feel like a million bucks when it's time to get back up and back to business.

Believe it or not, I'm almost looking forward to this winter! Okay, not so much. But I think that winter and I can at least call a truce.

No comments: