Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 16,759: Bite-Sized Morsels

There is a lot to be learned from caregiving mode. Anything that I set out to accomplish these days needs to be in bite-sized morsels, started and finished quickly, or tolerant of being picked up and then put down again on a moment's notice. It has wrestled me into relaxing about my processes, both professional and personal. And it has coaxed me into greater playfulness in my sketchbook journal, with which I tend to be unnecessarily regimented under normal circumstances. I have an infatuation with the vibrant creaminess of water soluble crayons and worked on this drawing like a jigsaw puzzle throughout last weekend. I would step into it and then have to step away again, but it gave me joy to know it was in progress. Art therapy, indeed.

It's all about showing up, even momentarily, for the things that are meaningful to me. I may not be able to give everything my extended and undivided attention right now or in the foreseeable future, but a few minutes here and there does make a difference. I am exploring other ways to apply this flexible, bite-sized approach to all areas of my life and discovering that almost every task, project and goal can be broken down into micro-increments. So simple and yet color me astounded at this revelation.

What has necessity and/or life's changing tides taught YOU recently?

No comments: