Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 17,162: What Is and Isn't My Business


This Full Moon in Aries precedes my rebirthing.  October marks the start of my new year.  I've discovered that an empty nest provides a lot of time for introspection.  Pen-to-paper journaling has provided me with tremendous comfort and clarity lately.  One recent entry in my tattered notebook continues to resonate with me, as I hope this portion of it will for you:

"I know my (day-to-day) job can be challenging but I also see it now for what it really is -- one of my greatest blessings.  Through it, I've learned that everything that I do (by desire or necessity) is as fun as I make it, even what may otherwise seem mundane.  Maybe me being me (as in the best of me) doing this (or any) job with joy means something bigger than what I actually accomplish through it. 

It's easy to remember this with my heart work (Reiki, wire-wrapping, etc.).  I don't do it for the sole purpose of making money.  I'm doing it because I love being of service.  It feels really good.  My joy and sense of well-being compound through what I make and share.  From there, everyone is free to 1) be a recipient of the product; 2) be inspired/uplifted by what I've made or done (and thus move forward to make or do what feels good to them); or 3) just enjoy catching a whiff of my joy and taking that forward with them in whatever way they choose.

There may be direct, monetary benefit through my creation or service, yes, and that is wonderful and appreciated because 1) it helps me to buy supplies to keep doing what I love and 2) it helps me to buy other things that bring joy to me and others.  But what kind of payment comes from inspiring and uplifting others?  Well, I guess what I've always called karma points, but referring to it as such minimizes if not demeans what's really going on.  We can't even begin to understand the impact that our actions and attitudes have on others -- and this includes our work in the world, and who/how we are through it.  This to me is sacred commerce. 

My mistake over the years is buying into the belief that I have to monetize my offerings in order for my business to thrive.  I've not given enough credit to those things (like the mandalas to color) that are offered purely for the love of it.  Yet I've received messages of appreciation from people who have been impacted by them in powerful ways.  Yes, these mandalas take time, but when I choose to see them as a gift, then any sense of them being a hassle disappears.  Making the process playful, I thrive ... and so does my business. 

Sometimes I will receive feedback (appreciation) regarding what I do, but sometimes not.  When I don't, I need to remember that my feeling good and having fun through the process was as much an offering as the creation itself .  I can trust that those who need to find what I've made and/or tap into the joy behind my making it will have benefitted.  I don't ever need to know who has been touched. 

So here's a great example of this at work.  A friend shares her day-to-day on her blog.  She's not charging people to visit.  She does share about her work for which she charges, but it's gently woven into the mix and never feels pushy because it's part of her life and who she is.  It makes her feel good to write and share photos about the whole of her journey.  Family and friends around her benefit from her feeling good from this activity.  People who connect with her through her blog are inspired try some of the things she is doing.  Some even contact her to buy her creations or sign up for her e-courses.  Others may send emails of gratitude instead.  New friendships are forged and opportunities take shape.  Others may never comment or contact her, but the energy of appreciation for who she is and what she does is there, just the same.  She knows that her PayPal balance is not the indicator of her success.  She knows that she is an irresistible magnet, drawing to her those who need what she offers, which is the example of a life joyously lived, first and foremost. 

When we do what we love, feel good and have fun -- heck, when we do ANYTHING while feeling good and having fun -- we serve the greater whole and we open ourselves to abundance in all forms.  So, to recap, serve yourself first by doing all that you do in joy.  That's the part that is our business.  What isn't our business is what happens from there.  We can't control it and, frankly, we shouldn't want to.  If the success of our business or career is hinged solely on sales (promotions, advancement, etc.), we've missed the point.  Even attachment to positive feedback can be a joy killer.  When we remember that who and how we are day-to-day is infinitely more important than what it is that we do, we discover that our vocation can be a blessed disguise that frees us to truly, deeply touch and impact the lives of others.  And that's what it's all about." 

And for journal entries such as this, I am so grateful.

No comments: