Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Day 17,569 Gratitude: That Which Blooms in November


The first snow of the season fell overnight.  About an inch of it, all wet and sloppy upon still-turning leaves.  Beautiful, yes, but too soon.  Entirely too soon.  As the days grow shorter, I've been taking great comfort in the fledgling geranium gifted to me recently which has taken to bloom beside my beloved schlumbergera and the swelling of its pea-sized buds.

I've also been basking in the afterglow of last weekend's open house.  Good friends.  Good food.  Amazing talent.  A bounty of inspired creations.  Ever since, I've been thinking deeply about what it means to be an artist with a full-time job that isn't the least bit artistic.  Before I can apply my creativity to making anything remotely artful, I have to use it to make the time.  Quite frankly, that has been hard.  Quite frankly-er, that is only because I've allowed it to be.  At a certain point, a decision needs to be made.  Is it worth it?  And, if so, what's next?

Betsy Cañas Garmon explained it beautifully ... "Listen to me.  You can tend to your creative life in 5 minute increments, in ideal and less than ideal (circumstances), in ease or when you're ill at ease.  Be fierce.  Choose the creative practice that heals and expands.  The rest of us need your authentic offerings."
And with those wise and gentle words, I burst open.  For this I am so grateful.

No comments: