Sunday, October 17, 2010

Souper Sunday: Curried Carrot Soup

When the leaves start falling and the furnace cuts on, I start digging around for my beloved soup recipes. You too? Well, I thought that it might be fun to open future Sunday posts here at Jakk's Magic Beans Life to soup recipes. Yours and mine. Hopefully, there will be one new soup recipe here every Sunday until or into Spring.

Please send me any soup recipes that you'd like to share and you'll be the star of an upcoming Souper Sunday post. Doesn't matter if your recipe is easy or complicated, vegetarian or omni-licious. All are welcome. Include a photo, if so inclined ... of the soup, of you, of the soup AND you. If you're really feeling creative, any shot oriented to the season would be cool too. You'll get full credit for everything, of course, and a link back to your website, if you'd like it shared.

Are you in? Great! Send to me at jakk@magicbeansworkshop.com.

On this first Souper Sunday, I wish I could tell you that this recipe is a family heirloom, passed down through generations. Nope. Sorry. I adapted this one from a 2003 recipe from Rachael Ray. It's fast. It's easy. It's got a warm, spicy kick to it that soothes me when it's cold and wet. I like it best sipped from a coffee mug. By the way, it freezes and reheats beautifully, with a little water or broth if needed.

Curried Carrot Soup
Serves: Approximately six 1.5 cup servings

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 2-pound bag of baby carrots
2 32-ounce cartons of chicken or vegetable broth
1.5 tablespoons curry powder (more or less to taste)
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Sour cream and/or chives as garnish, if desired

Preheat medium pot over medium/high heat. Add olive oil and butter. Saute carrots and onions for about 5 minutes. Add one carton of broth, curry, cayenne and salt. Bring to boil, cover and cook until carrots are tender (about 15 minutes). Remove from stove and allow to cool. Puree in blender in small batches (with caution) or using a stick blender. (Pre-schmooshing with a potato masher makes the pureeing process go a lot faster.) Return soup to low heat. Add broth from second carton to the thickness that you prefer. I have never garnished this soup with sour cream and/or chives. It's perfectly delicious without them. For all I know, I've been missing out, so please give it a whirl if these additions sound good to you.

Happy souping!

No comments: