Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Work of the Hands

This past weekend, I had the privilege of working with these beautiful people at the Shelter Animal Reiki Association booth at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Conference. We gave 10-minute sample Reiki treatments to veterinarians, vet techs, and other exhibitors from across the country, with a few international visitors as well. Between treatments, we answered questions about Reiki and how it can be especially helpful to animals in a shelter setting. We were also there to lend support to SARA's founder, Kathleen Prasad, during her three sessions.

I went into this experience looking forward to being of service and making new friends in the process. I had absolutely no idea that this experience would leave me completely undone. There was so much compassion in such a small space ... and I'm not just talking about the SARA booth. The other exhibitors, the vets, their support staff. So many good-hearted and open-minded people. So many so appreciative of what SARA is trying to accomplish. It could swell a heart to bursting.

Besides all of that, there is a lot to be said for having a hand (or two) in helping others put their burdens down for a little while. It really is an honor to be a Reiki practitioner and to hold the space for people to relax for even a few minutes in a world prone to keeping us too busy and weighing us down with worries. The dozens of people I treated over the course of the weekend hadn't laid eyes on me before, but each trusted me enough to put themselves in my hands, with eyes closed, for a few minutes of peace. At the end of each treatment, without fail, they would exhale and thank me. Powerful stuff. Powerful, humbling stuff.

So you'll have to pardon the lack of a soup recipe yesterday or otherwise checking in. It might take me a little while longer to come in for landing. I'm really enjoying the big-picture view from here.

No comments: