Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Reiki Tails: Sid Settles In and the A-Kittens, Too



There weren't many takers for Reiki today ... at least not hands-on. The only one was my big buddy, Sid, in Room 2. He was enthusiastically waiting for me at the door. When it was time for me to leave (I have to cover 7 cat rooms and a kitten room in less than 2 hours), Sid did not want to budge. I felt terrible having to put him down, but I think he would have stayed in my lap, soaking up the Reiki, for the rest of the day.

Sid is a sweet and gentle 9 year old boy who has been at the shelter a month or two, after being rescued from underneath someone's deck. Sid is declawed so he must have been an indoor pet at some point. I hope he finds another home soon.

Gretel is a very shy girl who has been at the shelter for a long time. She is very wary of hands-on contact ... even the most gentle and cautious petting. I would be extremely surprised (but delighted) if she ever jumps in my lap for Reiki. While I was giving Reiki to Sid, I think that she felt it from across the room. She sat up in her bed facing us and sat that way for 10 minutes, seemingly sound asleep. Gretel, even at only 2 years old, will have a more difficult time finding a home than Sid just because of her tentative nature. But maybe regular Reiki, even sent distantly, will help to heal her fears.

The A-kittens ... Arlo, Aquarius, Aloha, and Amour ... what can I say other than oh my goodness, the sheer cuteness! They had arrived at the shelter that morning and appeared to be physically attached to one another. Rather than cause distress by trying to handle them individually, I decided to sit outside of their cage and direct Reiki to them. They immediately feel fast asleep. Just too sweet for words.

Well, surprise of all surprises, Freckles, who I posted about on June 28, was adopted. I have started keeping track of which cat receives hands-on Reiki and when they get adopted, because it sure seems to me like a lot of them, even the long-timers who have been there for years, find homes shortly after a treatment. Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I really don't think so. All the more inspiration to make sure I schedule at least one visit each week!

In case you live in the Greater Cincinnati area and are interested in checking out all of the animals available for adoption, please see the link to the League for Animal Welfare in my sidebar. I can't recommend this fine organization enough.

No comments: