Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Persistence of Squirrels

I watched this little guy (or girl) scamper the limbs of our sycamore, intently making its way to the suet feeder. It proceeded to hang by its feet in order to feast upon the greasy goodness. Eventually, it stopped to look around, scampered down to the yard, dug up a nut it had buried there at some point, and fled beyond the fence and my sight.

I know that squirrels can be pests ... especially when it comes to feeders intended for the birds. But there's something about their persistence that resonates with me. They are flexible in a literal and figurative sense. They just don't quit. Obstacles do not deter them. There are layers of lessons there for me.

This is a great description of squirrel's medicine. Perseverance, preparedness and playfulness are other attributes that it tries to teach us through its antics. I don't know about you, but I can certainly use more of these qualities in my day-to-day life.

No comments: