Sunday, December 12, 2010

Souper Sunday: Renda's Cream of Jalapeno Soup

Katie has come through again with another soup recipe to share ... she says that this one has a little Southwestern flavor for ya! She admits that she has no idea who Renda is. Her mom got the recipe from her friend, Connie. (I LOVE when recipes get passed down and around this way! Take THAT Food Network!!)

Renda's Cream of Jalapeno Soup

1 small onion or some minced onion
3 jalapeno peppers
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
24-32 ounces chicken broth*
1 8-oz package cream cheese
1 1/2 cups half & half**

*Katie usually uses one 32-ounce carton, but sometimes adds less broth if she want it thicker.
**Katie often use 2% milk

Saute the jalapenos and onion in butter until soft. Add flour and blend well. Add broth (to desired thickness) and bring to a boil. Add cream cheese, whisking until smooth. Add half & half (don't boil after this point).

Serve with tortilla chips or bread, if you like. (Katie's friend, Amber, has made this and added rice to thicken it - which would be good!)

Katie hopes that we enjoy and assures that its a truly delicious blend of creamy and spicy. She didn't have a photo of the soup, but sent along this photo of a favorite holiday decoration. "This little tree came to me through a Secret Santa exchange in seventh grade, and has graced my house with its cheery lights every year since!"

Thanks Katie!

::URGENT::
I am out of soup submissions and only have a couple more soup recipes of my own to share. One of them I call Soup of Shame and, honestly, I don't think I have the courage to post it because I'm sure that you'll think less of me because of it. So you can help me out A LOT by sending me a favorite soup recipe of your own or at least a link to one that you've tried and enjoy. Pretty please!

No comments: