Saturday, April 16, 2011

Day 16,628 Gratitude

Posting early on this cool, moist and breezy Saturday morning. Despite the chill, I have the living room windows cracked open to let in the spring breeze. After last night's storms, everything suddenly seems wildly green and lush. April showers bring May flowers and for that I am so grateful.

I have been slowly easing into a Taos state of mind. A mere five weeks from today, we'll be there. Amy and I went shopping for art supplies last week. The weather that afternoon was so perfect that we were able to sit outside and do some sketching in the sunshine. Art journaling is starting to come naturally to me now that I'm learning to relax about and into it. Slowly but surely, I am discovering how to capture the essence of what I see as I see it. This process slows me down and puts me "right here, right now" and for that I am so grateful.

Over the last several weeks, I have lost sight of the highlighted route with so much more than just this blog. I believe the primary culprit was falling out of the habit of daily "I will" lists. I'm not sure why that happened, exactly, as things were going so well. I was rising to occasions with relative consistency and accomplishing more than ever before. It was probably something as simple as not doing it one day, nor the next, and then the snowball rolled downhill from there. Good habits are reinforced by the day and can unravel as quickly in the very same way. My momentum can reverse within the span of just three days. Recognizing this about myself is good news. I am thankful for having stumbled because it's helped me to realize how important it is to have a flight plan each day. I know that I won't always cross everything off the list, but at least they will be on the list in the first place. This gives me the opportunity to make conscious decisions, rather than sleepwalking through my day and for that I am so grateful.

So tell me what's ringing your grateful bells these days?

No comments: