Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 16,859 Gratitude

I can't say that I have ever enjoyed a November more than the one that just came to a close. Even the November in which I got married had its bumps and burdens despite its blessed festivities. Granted, this particular November was warmer and brighter than most and, human solar panel that I am, I basked in it and soaked it up.

Perhaps the lightness of November also had to do with the fact that I finally started walking outside again on a regular basis. Sometimes twice per day. Or maybe something to do with the fact that I brought the month to a close by making more nourishing choices for myself overall. I really don't know. And I don't really need to know. But what I do know is that I am crossing my breath and holding my fingers that it continues ... this, um, dark time not being so darn dark.

As December settles upon us, I have been committed to increasing the calm and decreasing the crazy this Christmas. This means insisting upon a slow and steady pace to doing what needs to be done and applying the art of reduction/simplification wherever possible. Of course that's easy for me to say only three days into the month and three weeks away from the holiday, but here is where I stand with it all at this juncture.

Christmas looks and feels different to me now with a nearly full grown child. I am assessing traditions ... which precious ones to keep and which ones have been outgrown. I want there to always be room for something new, something that better suits who we have become as a family and individuals within it. How many times must we do the same things, year after year, only because we've always done them? Even when they no longer bring us joy? I am disocvering that where I find stress is usually the exact same place I discover something that needs to be eliminated or transformed. It's all food for thought.

With that said, our tree is up and I have been appreciating this annual visit with our ornaments and the memories that they hold. Residents of our neighborhood have been taking full advantage of the nice weather to deck their homes and yards. And barred owls have been serenading me on recent sunset walks past a wee greenspace that holds many animal medicine messages for me. For all of these things and so much more, I am so grateful.

No comments: