Monday, February 18, 2013

Day 17,302 Gratitude: The Joy of Creative Quickies


Today I am so grateful for creative quickies that support my intention to be artful (in some way) every day.  Not the easiest thing with a full-time job ... and yet not impossible.  There are always a few free minutes, even on the busiest days.  I've been collecting ideas for wee projects and always on the lookout for books and web resources that teach them. 

Mandala: Luminous Symbols for Healing has been in my collection for many years. I love to make small, shining mandalas on black paper when I am feeling stuck. It's like the light breaking through.  Good medicine.

A favorite book over the last year has been Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists:  52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun.  It has the motherload of sketchy ideas ... many of which only take a few minutes.  I have the hard copy of the book, but also splurged on the iBook version so that I will have its inspiration handy when I'm out and about. 

The newest addition to my creative quickie collection is Zentangles, thanks to the book, One Zentangle a Day:  A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxations, Inspiration and Fun.  They suggest allowing 30 minutes to complete one tile, but I can see them taking less time with practice.  The photo above is of my second one.  Embracing my beginnerness.

Please share your creative quickies ... books, links, little gems you've created yourself!

No comments: