Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Happy Birthday, Kathy

Today I celebrate the birth of my friend, Kathy.

Kathy and I lived in little ranch houses on Northport Drive. If I looked out my bedroom window real hard to the right, I could watch her leaving her house down the street to walk over to mine. We became friends in 4th grade when I moved to Summit Estates, which was, in my humble opinion, a pretty sweet neighborhood for a kid to grow up.

When I think of Kathy, I remember the best parts of my childhood. We were the best of friends on our first adventures in this world. Walking to the convenience store for candy and Icees. Trudging through the woods to McAlpin’s and Burger Chef. And being dropped off by our parents for an afternoon at Beechmont Mall, the way that it used to be in my memory before they broke my heart and tore it down. We would spend our hard-earned babysitting loot on Tiger Beat (and later, Seventeen) magazine, Love’s Baby Soft perfume, and Bonne Bell Lipsmackers. We'd go to Woolworth for 45s to add to our collection.

Kathy was an honorary member of my family, as I was of hers. Our houses were small, but our dreams were big. She lives in Texas now, which is a long way from Northport Drive. We catch up when we can, but we know that the sisterly bond is always strong between us regardless of how much time should pass.

Happy birthday to you, Kathy! LYLASA!

No comments: