Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 16,608 Gratitude

(From the Archives: April, 2005)

Several months ago, I deactivated my Twitter account. Why?

Me + Facebook + Twitter = Constantly Connected

Twitter wasn't the problem. My compulsion to be constantly connected ... well, that was a problem. Something had to go. Twitter drew the short straw. I deactivated my account and never looked back. Much.

Recently, for better or worse, I decided to give Twitter another try. I took a deep breath and setup a new account. I left it in park for awhile without any posts. Marinating in possibilities, perhaps ... but more than likely steeping in my ambivalence.

Today I decided to take it for a test drive. And you know what? The old impulse came right back. There I was again, constantly checking, clicking, and (unfortunately) comparing. The question of whether or not I'm keeping up, in all of the forms that question can take, was in my face again. I deactivated the account. Again.

I have many friends, on- and off-line, who love Twitter. I understand how it can be a great way to stay connected, as well as a genuine asset to those with a business to market. No disrespect to the platform intended ... it just isn't a good fit for me. I'm much better off minding my own business. Literally and figuratively.

I know that by opting against maximizing my online presence, I run the risk of falling behind, out of sight, out of mind. Not only being forgotten, but never being found in the first place. But I'm comfortable with trusting that I will connect with whomever resonates with and wants what I have to offer.

I am and always have been a keep-it-simple girl at heart. I just want to write something to make you laugh, lift you up, touch your heart. I just want to make things that might bring you some peace, comfort and joy. I just want to share my journey and connect with you, my travel companions, in ways that feel authentic to me and my style.

I thank you with all of my heart for meeting me here on these sweet and simple terms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your sweet and simple terms, dear Julie, are absolutely enough. (And I share many of your qualms about Twitter - hence why I'm taking a break from it for a while.)