Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 16,891: Ambivalent Emergence

The week after a week's vacation ain't for sissies. When I sat down at my computer yesterday, the first day back after 10 days off, I could not, for the life of me, remember how to log onto my employer's server. The panicked convo of me with me went something like this:

"Is my user name really just my user name or my full e-mail address?"
"Did I change my password before I went on vacation?"
"Is the passcode that four-letter thingy with the six-digit whatchamacallit?"
"Does the token code go first or last?"


All of my questions were met with the sound of crickets chirping in my head. Nobody home. Does not compute. It was eerily reminiscent of my maternity leave when I was journaling and couldn't remember how to spell "should." I could say the word. I knew full well what it meant. But the part of my brain responsible for retrieving the how-to of it was still on leave and would take its sweet ol' time returning.

I spent at least 20 minutes yesterday morning trying to crack those log-in codes. All the while, I would glance longingly at this stack of books and ball of yarn. There was no mistaking what I'd much rather be doing. It's Wednesday and that sentiment still lingers. I suspect it will all week. Maybe beyond.

"Should" is a word well worth forgetting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. Re-entry this week has been tough for me, too.

That yarn is gorgeous. What are you making?