Thursday, January 5, 2012

Day 16,892: Lop-hearted

I try to get out for a walk every week day at lunch time. I don't always want to do it, even on the brightest, bluest days, but I am always better off when I rise to the occasion. I decided to walk today without an iPod. I was mulling over some work-related issues and really wanted to hear myself think.

As I was coming up the butt-kicking hill on State Road, this wee rock caught my eye. Lop-hearted. Yeah, that's me today. I walked a bit further and the sound of cooing caught my attention. Dove lovin', I assumed. I looked around and couldn't see a thing. I looked up and above me was an enormous V-formation of at least two dozen long-necked, wide-winged, spindly-legged birds. At first glance similar to the Canadian geese that frequently fly these skies, but these birds were white, at a higher altitude, and making this strange cooing sound.

I stood there on the sidewalk, staring upward, grinning from ear to ear and undoubtedly perplexing (if not amusing) the passing traffic. Heron? Cranes? I have absolutely no idea. I've never seen anything like them in my life, but whatever they were, they were flying south. A good omen. The sight of them felt like getting really good news. I'm grateful that I was alert, aware and open enough to receive it.

No comments: