Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 16,888: Anew

Since Fred's passing in September, Garrett has been given increased freedom to roam the house. This is the first winter in his six with us that he's had open access to the fireplace. In fact, last night was the first night. He took to it immediately. Splayed on his back in warm rapture, he would look up at me as if to say, "How is it that I didn't know about this sooner?"

I am not prone to making resolutions. I avoid choosing a word or (since the dreaded "Benefit of the Doubt" debacle of '08) phrase to represent the year ahead. But, like Garrett, I hope that the bowl of 2012 has its crunchberries of rapturous discoveries and opportunities that literally and figuratively leave me splayed on the floor in breathless wonder as to why I didn't know about them sooner.

1 comment:

Beth said...

"why didn't I know about this sooner?" is one of my favorite feelings!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caseyann09/3188652446/in/set-72157611751015496
this was casey 3 years ago!
the funny thing is that while I did set an intention for this year that can be summed up in a word, I am reasonably sure that I choose a word for 2011 but now I have no idea what it was! maybe I should've had it stamped on a pendant like I did in 2010! ; )